Monday, January 9, 2012

The Durian Fruit

Where to start.....


First, the durian fruit smells DISGUSTING!!  It smells much like sweaty gym socks that have been left have been left in a back pack for a week.  When we got to Duc's aunt's house for New Year's Eve, this dessert was covered.  Its sticky rice with durian in the middle.  I was asked if I'd ever had it, "No".  When the lid was removed that smell hits you in the face! 

I couldn't not try it.  It was a challenge that I couldn't resist.  After dinner, Ducums' aunt cut the dessert into small portions.  I took one and thought about it.  You really cant think about it too long, with durian, just do it!! 

The Durian has the consistency of an avocado.  And sticky rice is just as it implies although it sticks together, and not on you. 

The sticky rice does nothing to help the horrible taste of the fruit.  I had one bite.  Chewed, tasted, then gulped, no chugged water.  Ducums' father asked me what it tasted like and I told him a sweaty gym sock.  "What? No!  Not a gym sock, it's sweet."  "Yes! Its a gym sock!" 

To top that off, after drinking some bubbly champagne, I burped a little durian up.  It was the worst thing ever!  Maybe even worse than forcing it down in the first place.  Now they say I have to try it fresh.  That it's sweeter when fresh and much better.  I'm not sure I'm up for that challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you have to taste it fresh!!! its...er...delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete